[Exim] aliases file and wildcards

Author: Angus Tyler
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] aliases file and wildcards
We switched from sendmail to exim several months ago, and have found it
excellent.

There is however one outstanding query:

We manage several virtual domains, each with their own aliases file.
These allow wild card matching, such that a line:

*:      postmaster@???

will send all incoming emails, not previously matched, to the other
domain. This is useful as domain managers can maintain their own user
aliases files. We would like the ability to preserve the local part of
the mail address on the right hand side. Obviously this example does not
work, but something like:

*:      $local_part@anotherdomain

so that the username is maintained across the two domains. Can this be
done in the aliases file? It seems like a sensible requirement that I am
sure many others must have as well. If necessary, the less attractive
option of something in the exim.conf may be necessary, but clearly an
admin headache given the self management in place at the moment. What
would this alternative be?

Any thought would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Angus.

--

E X E M U S L I M I T E D

Computer Services and Graphic Design

Unit One Hurst Court High Street Ripley GU23 6AY England
Tel: +44 1483 224533 Fax: +44 1483 225187 Web: www.exemus.com