Re: [Exim] Exim filter db lookups - full stop

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: Exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim filter db lookups - full stop
Vadim Vygonets wrote:

> But from what I understood, you were trying to block the message
> if it was relayed through a blackholed host, not only if it was
> sent from one.

What happens, is that we block spam smtp'ed to us by normal delivery wih
a helo/ehlo on the basis of 3 or four databases, refusing on negative
reverse lookups (apart from especially sanctioned mailhosts) - and also
RBL checking. This is 95-98% effective in blocking all spam that we
receive.

What sometimes happens, is that we get spam relayed by one or two
fallback mailservers - this we haven't been able to vet, up to the
present time.

What is going to happen pretty soon, is that we'll be getting more and
more spam from a particular MS Exchange server, whose administrators
haven't the nouse to configure their mailserver to stop spamming. Now
we've a fair chance of blocking much of this.

Firstly I want to stop as much spam as possible from these 3 trojan
horses.

Secondly I want to prove to the Microsoft people in the concern (that's
just taken our entire group over), that we're far more knowledgeable
than they are, and that I should reconfigure their entire mail setup in
goodness knows how many countries to run Exim on Unix, instead of MS
Exchange on NT.

Thirdly, it's been great fun! Always is, when something new works.
Thanks a lot to everyone who took the trouble to reply and help - I
certainly couldn't have done it without you.

I'll try and leave you all in peace as much as possible :-)

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw
Randstad 2157