[Exim] exim3.03->3.12 causes timeout errors.

Author: markm
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] exim3.03->3.12 causes timeout errors.
Hi,

I was hoping someone could help diagnose the problems I am having after
upgrading to exim3.12 (Downgrading to 3.03 fixes the problem). My
apologies if this has been discussed before - could I pls have a link.

With 3.12 I get:
SMTP timeout while connected to smtp.student.unsw.edu.au [a.b.c.d] after
end of data (3531 bytes written)

I have read Q21 of the exim FAQ, and so I recompiled with the
#define DELIVER_OUT_BUFFER_SIZE 512 but this didn't help.

I am using the debianized exim (exim_3.12-4_i386.deb).

Is this some other strange side effect of an ipv4/6 problem?

It was suggested to me that I look at http://www.postfix.org,
FAQ: "Mail fails with timeout or lost connection". Thinking that this
may be part of the problem I did: [-F = Set the "don't fragment" bit]

traceroute -F smtp.student.unsw.edu.au

The last hop before smtp.tudent.unsw.edu.au failed? with
[snip] 129.654 ms !A * 119.699 ms !A,

but why would 3.03 work correctly? I know of one other person who has
this problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Mark.