[Exim] PAM for SMTP auth

Author: Adrian Daminato
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] PAM for SMTP auth
I've been trying to get PAM authentication working for use with SMTP
auth, but I think I'm missing something. I'm running Exim 3.13 on
Redhat 6.1. In my exim.conf:

plain:
driver = plaintext
public_name = PLAIN
server_condition = "${if pam{$2:$3}{1}{0}}"
server_set_id = $2

I don't know a great deal about PAM, but I'm pretty sure I need a file
called "exim" in /etc/pam.d from what I've been able to determine. The
only thing I haven't figured out is how that file is to be configured.
The closest to success I get is:

auth    required        /lib/security/pam_permit.so
auth    required        /lib/security/pam_warn.so
auth    required        /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow
account required        /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

Running exim with -d9, I get this output an authentication attempt:

-- Running PAM authentication for user "linuxcd" with string
"linuxcd:test"
PAM error: Authentication failure
plain authenticator:
$1 =
$2 = linuxcd
$3 = test
expanded string: 0
535 Incorrect authentication data

And /var/log/message gives me:

Feb 4 11:27:06 age PAM-warn[20121]: service: exim [on terminal:
<unknown>]
Feb 4 11:27:06 age PAM-warn[20121]: user: (uid=8) -> linuxcd [remote:
?nobody@?nowhere]
Feb 4 11:27:06 age pwdb_chkpwd[20125]: password not found

I'm not sure, but I think I'm missing something. Do I need to have the
SMTP auth use the user of the localuser attempting to authenticate? Or
is my PAM setup incorrect?

ANy help would be appreciated.

Adrian Daminato
TUCOWS International Corp.
http://www.tucows.com
Tel: (416) 535-0123
Fax: (416) 531-5584

"We, each of us, have a ticket to ride, and if the trip be interesting
(if it's
dull, we have only ourselves to blame), then we relish the landscape
(how
quickly it whizzes by!), interact with our fellow travelers, pay
frequent
visits to the washrooms and concession stands, and hardly ever hold up
the
ticket to the light where we can read its plainly stated destination:
The
Abyss." ... "Jitterbug Perfume", Tom Robbins.