[Exim] 4xx and 5xx SMTP error codes

Author: Bernard Stern
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] 4xx and 5xx SMTP error codes
Helo,

I'm referring to the chapter 21.3 of the exim spec doc (page 151
of the postscript document).

It mentions that the returned error code for a :defer:ed address is
451, for both SMTP VRFY and RCPT TO commands. But:

helo arthur.switch.ch
250 limmat.switch.ch Hello arthur [130.59.4.20]
vrfy zztest@???
450 <zztest@???> Scheduled maintenance downtime

OK, as expected

mail from: stern@???
250 <stern@???> is syntactically correct
rcpt to: zztest@???
250 <zztest@???> is syntactically correct

Which is not as expected.

However, the text also mentions that the mail, despite deferred, is
accepted on the MTA (which maybe invalidates my above statement).

My goal is to "fully" defer mails (based on local parts of course),
ie not accept them on my MTA (at specific times).
There are nightly scheduled downtimes, and during these downtimes
it is quite vital that mails to such local parts are _not_ accepted
on the server, but there are no reasons to fail them. Thus a 4xx
response would exactly fit my needs.
Is there another approach to achieve this goal?
As ever, many thanks in advance for a hint to a solution.

Regards,

Bernard Stern, SWITCH

        mail: SWITCH Head Office       a          Tel: +41 1 268 1520
              Limmatquai 138           n          Fax: +41 1 268 1568
              CH-8001 Zurich           d        e-mail: stern@???