Re: [Exim] feature request/WishList item: ODMR / RFC 2645

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Urs Janßen
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] feature request/WishList item: ODMR / RFC 2645
On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Urs Janßen wrote:

> I know, but that shouldn't be the problem as one could do something
> like exim -R sub.doma.in - works with ETRN, why shouldn't it work
> with ATRN?

It doesn't work with ETRN, actually. At least, not in all cases.
Consider a message addressed to an alias or somebody with a .forward
file, (or mailing list). Exim keeps just the top level address and
expands it each time. So -R won't find the domains of any members of the
alias or mailing list, or forwarded addresses. (Using the "once" option
can improve this for mailing lists.)

It would be easy (I think - I haven't looked at the code) to add ATRN
exactly analagous to ETRN except that it hands over the socket to the
process it runs, but it will suffer from this problem. I have
nevertheless added this to the Wish List.