Re: [Exim] Switching over from qmail

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Jeremy C. Reed
To: Marcus Schneider
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Switching over from qmail
Marcus,

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Marcus Schneider wrote:

> At the moment I am thinking of switching my completely qmail-based
> system to a > hybrid of exim and qmail-pop3d.

I also switched from qmail to Exim .. plus I have a virtual domains setup
also (multiple mail users with the same name).

My setup is different than yours, but my ideas may help.

> /popserver/[domain1|domain2|...|domainN]
>
> each of these virtual domains directories holds files which are called
> .qmail-username1 to .qmail-usernameN and one file called .qmail-default

My mail is delivered to /var/spool/virtual/domain.name/username

My password file and alias file are located:
/etc/virtual/domain.name/passwd
/etc/virtual/domain.name/aliases

The Exim website has great documentation and many examples.

Look at these config samples (and others) from the website
or ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/config.samples.tar.gz

C007: "If I host a domain foo.dom on my machine as a virtual domain I
expect it to be completely virtual and separate from other mail domains
that end up on my machine."

C009: "These are suggested parts of a configuration for looking up users
in /etc/passwd.domain rather than in /etc/passwd ..."

I use a patched version of gnu-pop3d so users can get my email.

The user simply appends a colon or at-sign and a domain name (or realm
name) at the end of his/her pop3 user name, like "jeremy@???".
You can also compile the patch to automatically attempt to use the domain
name that the user used to connect to your server. (With this option,
you'd have to have separate IPs for each virtual domain name.)

More info about my patch and my Exim configuration is at
http://www.reedmedia.net/projects/virtualmail/

Hope this helps,

Jeremy C. Reed
http://www.reedmedia.net