[Exim] Question about ultimate address timeouts

Author: Dean Brooks
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Question about ultimate address timeouts
Hi,

The spec for Exim 3.13 states:

> 31.5 Ultimate address timeout
> An additional rule is needed to cope with cases where a host is
> intermittently available, or when a message has some attribute that
> prevents its delivery when others to the same address get through.
> Because some messages are successfully delivered, the 'retry clock'
> for the address keeps getting restarted, and so a message could remain
> on the queue for ever. To prevent this, if a message has been on the
> queue for longer than the cutoff time of any applicable retry rule,
> the associated recipient address is failed after its next temporary
> delivery error. A new retry time is not computed in this case, so that
> other messages for the same address are considered immediately.

Most notably, it says "if a message has been on the queue for longer than
the cutoff time of any *applicable* retry rule".

Well, it appears that Exim simply chooses the longest cutoff time of *all*
the rewrite rules, without regards as to whether the match expression even
matches.

We have one rule in our retry list for a very specific domain of 60 days.

Unfortunately, that means that the "ultimate address timeout" mentioned
above is always using the 60 day value, instead of the highest value
of only the retry rules that are *applicable*.

Was this behavior intended?

Regards, Dean

--
Dean A. Brooks                         Email: dean@???
IgLou Internet Services, Inc.          Voice: (502) 966-3848