Re: [Exim] pipelining in outbound SMTP ?

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] pipelining in outbound SMTP ?
arb@??? said:
> Someone on the postfix mailing list did some tests. They used a sample
> message with more than one recipient, and sent it to a host, first to
> a sendmail daemon (no pipelining), and then to a postfix daemon
> (pipelining). The client was postfix. In the first instance, the
> message took about 9 seconds to go through, in the second instance, it
> took just 2 seconds.

I'm finding it a little hard to articulate the question I really have
on this...

Individual deliveries might be faster - especially on high latency
links (or overloaded receiving machines - which might not actually
thank you :-) ). However over the whole system is this a particular
win - are you really fitting more mail through your server or are you
just modifying the profiles of how messages go through - running
deliveries in a more serial fashion rather than having more processes
with a slower per message throughput but the same overall system cost.

[I actually like this as a technique... I just don't want to add
complexity thats not buying much ]

    Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]