Re: [Exim] mailman

Autor: Michael Stevens
A: Mark Symonds
CC: Milos Prudek, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] mailman
On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 01:43:27PM -0800, Mark Symonds wrote:
> > > No no, this list itself is run by mailman and exim.
> >
> > I've successfully used mailman and exim together. I had problems with
> > mailman later and stopped using it, but I don't see any reason to
> > think it was related to exim.
> >

> Yes -- at least in my situation it was definitely a mailman
> problem all the way. Exim had nothing to do with it.
>
> I found this in /var/lib/mailman/cron/crontab.in:
>
> # Every 5 mins, try to gate news to mail. You can comment this one out
> # if you don't want to allow gating, or don't have any going on right now,
> # or want to exclusively use a callback strategy instead of polling.
> 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /usr/bin/python
> /var/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news
> #
>
> ...that line wasn't commented although I had told mailman
> via the admin web interface not to gate news/mail.
> Anyway it's been well over 12 hours without a problem,
> no wild /USR/CRON processes anymore.
> Just thought I'd post that in case anyone else runs into it,
> sorry for being a bit off-topic.

I _think_ my problem was something to do with mailman trying to add
~1000 users to it's database. A bit of prodding with strace(1)
revealed they all seemed to be fighting over the same locks on the
database...

I still think majordomo is the MLM that sucks least, purely because
when it works, it just works.