Re: [Exim] Extending RBL handling

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Alan Brown
A: Nigel Metheringham
Cc: Philip Hazel, exim-users, alan
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Extending RBL handling
On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> A DNS lookup is *relatively* expensive

Agreed, but at least it's cached. Anyone using RBLs on a mailserver
should be running a cache-only local DNS server slaving to local main
nameservers in order to drop LAN traffic (It gives a surprising
performance win)

> alan@??? said:
> > A host being listed as OK by ORBS is no guarantee that it's alright.
> > There are currently around 1200 entries in MAPS RSS which are also in
> > ok.orbs.org.
>
> Thats a admin usage issue... I think that exim *should* support the
> idea of RBL white lists... its just that there may be no useful ones
> available at present :-) [and an MAPS/RSS lookup ahead of the ok.orbs
> list would fix that]

It would if RSS was more regularly cleaned - it doesn't have automated
retesting/removal, so relies on manual notification. I've found quite a
few hosts which the automated system thinks are OK, RSS thinks are
relays and which I've manually tested as OK from other netblocks.

> I've attempted to try and ensure we leave *policy* to the system admin
> - we need hooks to allow their policy to be implemented.

This sounds like the best plan.

AB