Re: [Exim] User Quotas

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Ian Southam
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] User Quotas
On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Ian Southam wrote:

> Something I would love to do is to assign send quotas to users. By this I
> mean something like no more than 200 messages an hour out from any given
> account.

If you want to do this in your host, and do it properly, you have to
catch outgoing SMTP calls. There is nothing to require the user to send
through your MTA.

If you want to catch stuff going through your MTA (as a "better than
nothing" job), I would suggest writing a front end that does the
checking before exec-ing to the real MTA. However, that still doesn't
catch local users that use SMTP to get to your local MTA.

> I guess there would be a way through some sort of local SMTP proxy that
> recognises local IPs and counts the mails with a certain "sender" address and
> then refuses connections when the quota is reached.

Yes, you'd have to do that.