Re: [Exim] MX processing (1)

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Steve Haslam
A: Exim Users List
Asunto: Re: [Exim] MX processing (1)
On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 11:25:31AM -0000, John Horne wrote:
> On 11-Jan-00 at 18:16:40 Dave C. wrote:
> > CNAMES provide a way of doing this by mapping 'logical' or 'functional'
> > hostnames onto real hostnames. I dont think that was its original
> > purpose, but there isnt anything else that does..
> >
> You are actually right in our case, and that is in fact one reason why I
> asked the original question. Internally we do use a CNAME for the mailhub
> simply because users ask which POP server to use, which mailhub (smtp
> system), etc.

Indeed, and I imagine that practically every site does this. But this
is different from using them for MXs...

> It was easier to assign it an alias and let everyone know that. We then
> simply change the one CNAME entry. The current DNS zone files are built by a
> convoluted procedure. If that gets sorted out then, yes, I would rather use
> the canonical name.

Ah, ok.

I suppose if your zone file was an m4 file, then you could have:

define(MAILHOST, `flux')dnl

@    IN MX         5 MAILHOST
@    IN MX         10 wisp    # relayhost
@    IN MX         10 metz    # relayhost

smtp    IN CNAME    MAILHOST
pop    IN CNAME    MAILHOST
imap    IN CNAME    MAILHOST

flux    IN A        10.0.1.1
wisp    IN A        10.0.1.2
meta    IN A        10.0.1.3

But I guess that's no use to you :}

SHR
--
Steve Haslam, Production Engineer, Excite UK     steve.haslam@???
                               i sit and stare at the gun pointed at my head