Re: [Exim] Header rewriting - From: fields comment and phras…

Autor: Michael Stevens
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Header rewriting - From: fields comment and phrase elements
On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 09:34:10AM -0500, Peter Radcliffe wrote:
> Philip Hazel <ph10@???> probably said:
> > From: Philip "Q." Hazel (Exim author) <ph10@(this is in
> > Cambridge)cus.cam.ac.uk> (there's only one "l" in "Philip")
> > is not a job for a regular expression.
> Someone has actually written a regexp to interpret email addresses
> properly. I think it was included in the ORA regexp book.
> It's half a page long, and not an amount of extra processing I'd want to
> apply to every message ...

Do note that even this regexp is unable to properly handle arbitrary
nested comments due to inherent limitations of regular expressions
(although I understand that even this does not apply to full perl
style regular expressions as they are turing complete).