Re: [Exim] Header rewriting - From: fields comment and phras…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Ray Gardener
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Header rewriting - From: fields comment and phrase elements

Vadim Vygonets writes:

<snip>

>Illegal. See RFC822.

Apologies for including the example of the rewritten format that don't
meet RFC822. We don't intend to rewrite using any illegal format and
will check the syntax specs before any implementation. I wanted to see
whether the rewriting of the comment and phase parts of headers was
theoretically achievable.

>First, please _DO_ read RFC822 carefully, and take care of
>rewriting addresses such as < vadik (The Nicest) @ (this is an at
>sign) vygo (MINE!) . (dot) net (why not?) > correctly. Where
>will you put these comments, huh?

>Second, please try to implement a script (first, without any Exim
>specific features) which will parse RFC822 e-mail addresses
>correctly and extract comments from them. Also take care to put
>comments in double quotes when needed.

>Third, abandon the idea. Why do you need it, anyway?

Because we have two internal mail systems linked by SMTP. Both of this
use unfriendly mailbox names in the headers which make it difficult for
users in other systems to work out who the mail was from. One system
generates and displays the comment element in a from: field

<R.a.gardener@???> (Ray Gardener)

whilst the other generates and displays the only the phrase element.

"Ray Gardener" <r.a.gardener@???>

The result is that when mail is sent between the two systems the extra
"displayed name" info is not shown.

So what I wish to do is to the rewrite from: headers so that display
name component can be displayed.
I will look into the w option of the rewriting rules.

Ray Gardener