Re: [Exim] Lookup using fifth field as key

Author: Jonathan Hunter
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Lookup using fifth field as key
----- Original Message -----
From: "Nigel Metheringham" <Nigel.Metheringham@???>
To: "Jonathan Hunter" <jh-exim@???>
Cc: <exim-users@???>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2000 9:26 AM

> I would strongly recommend against trying this - fuzzy matching leads
> to grief, and on most systems users can change their gecos fields with
> fascinating results - things just stop working, or suddenly the big
> bosses mail is being received by someone else or....

Users shouldn't be able to change their GECOS fields in this scenario (chfn
disabled).

> If you are going to do something like this, use an external perl script
> to generate an alias file (which also allows you to use/not-use middle
> initials, allow underscore or dot separation etc) and also check that
> you have a consitant output before putting the new alias file in place.
> This can be run periodically or on demand.

Yes, that would work, although I'd still prefer some method of doing a
direct lookup on /etc/passwd. If nothing else comes up then I'll probably
use an alias file - it just seems wasteful to do so, especially when I don't
particularly want to use middle initials, allow underscore separation etc.

Thanks,

Jonathan