RE: [Exim] MX processing (1)

Autor: John Horne
A: Exim Users List
Assumpte: RE: [Exim] MX processing (1)
On 11-Jan-00 at 10:49:57 Max Clements wrote:
> With reference to:
>> My question is whether using an alias (CNAME) in an MX record
>> is correct or
>> not. Eg:
>>
>>           site.com.          MX 10    mail.site.com.
>>           mail.site.com.     CNAME    mailhub.site.com.
>>           mailhub.site.com.  A        10.0.0.1

> A rule of DNS is that you cannot use a CNAME in the data portion of a
> resource record (such as your MX record). If you are using a version of
> BIND pre 4.9 the log won't catch this as an error as far as I know.

We are running BIND 8.2.2. It does not complain about using CNAMES in the
data portion. Note that it is 'not recommended' according to the book
because of MTA's not using aliases - not that you cannot do it.

> If I could recommend a good text on DNS - which is often IMHO a very
> misunderstood service - it would be the book DNS and BIND by Paul Albitz
> and Cricket Liu published by O'Reilly (www.oreilly.com) and available from
> Amazon.com or any other decent bookshop that carries technical texts.

Thanks, but we have the book - that's where the bit about sendmail came from.

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK             Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@???
Finger for PGP key: john@???