RE: [Exim] MX processing (1)

Author: Max Clements
To: 'John Horne', Exim Users List
Subject: RE: [Exim] MX processing (1)
With reference to:

> My question is whether using an alias (CNAME) in an MX record
> is correct or
> not. Eg:
>
>           site.com.          MX 10    mail.site.com.
>           mail.site.com.     CNAME    mailhub.site.com.
>           mailhub.site.com.  A        10.0.0.1

A rule of DNS is that you cannot use a CNAME in the data portion of a
resource record (such as your MX record). If you are using a version of
BIND pre 4.9 the log won't catch this as an error as far as I know.

If I could recommend a good text on DNS - which is often IMHO a very
misunderstood service - it would be the book DNS and BIND by Paul Albitz and
Cricket Liu published by O'Reilly (www.oreilly.com) and available from
Amazon.com or any other decent bookshop that carries technical texts.

Hope this is of a little use

Regards

Max

Max Clements