Re: [Exim] Mailboxes on Virtual Domains

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
To: Ryan Hayle
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [Exim] Mailboxes on Virtual Domains
Ryan:

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Ryan Hayle wrote:
> biggest question is, can you create seperate user lists for the different
> domains? So I can have bill@??? and bill@??? hosted on the
> same server? If so, could anyone help me figure out how to go about this?
> Also, can I avoid creating regular system accounts for each user I want to
> add? (obviously I couldn't create two accounts called "bill", so this gets
> back to my first problem). How have other people implemented this? Any
> help would be -greatly- appriciated!

There used to be some great examples at the www.Exim.org website.
But now it seems to be a download.
ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/config.samples.tar.gz
Look at these config samples (and others):

C007: "If I host a domain foo.dom on my machine as a virtual domain I
expect it to be completely virtual and separate from other mail domains
that end up on my machine."

C009: "These are suggested parts of a configuration for looking up users
in /etc/passwd.domain rather than in /etc/passwd ..."

You will also need a way for the users to get the emails.

I wrote a patch for gnu-pop3d that allows using separate password files
and separate mail spool directories (for each domain or realm).

The user simply appends a colon or at-sign and a domain name (or realm
name) at the end of his/her pop3 user name, like "jeremy@???".
You can also compile the patch to automatically attempt to use the domain
name the user used to connect to your server. (With this option, you'd have
to have separate IPs for each virtual domain name.)

Of course, you'd need to configure your mail server to deliver the mail
appropriately. I use the Exim MTA which is very easy to configure. I also
have separate email alias files for each domain.

More info about my patch is at
http://www.reedmedia.net/projects/virtualmail/

I chose gnu-pop3d to patch, because the code is extremely easy to follow.
gnu-pop3d is available via
http://www.nodomainname.net/software/gnu-pop3d/

Hope this helps,

  Jeremy C. Reed
     BSD software, documentation, resources, news...
     http://bsd.reedmedia.net