[Exim] Retry DB: few questions

Author: Vladimir Litovka
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Retry DB: few questions
Hello!

I'm using Exim version 3.03, Berkeley DB version 1.8x (native mode).

There is strange situation, as for me. I send mail to some domain, which
is unreachable now. Exim passes final cutoff time and drops this message
with notification: "retry timeout exceeded". But I don't see this domain
in retry database (result of 'exim_dumpdb /var/spool/exim retry' doesn't
contain this entry). After restart of Exim there still isn't this domain,
however Exim finds information about retry times, because immediately
drops messages for this domain. Where this information is stored really?

How long Exim keeps entries in retry db after final cutoff time passed for
particular domain? In the result of 'exim_dumpdb ... retry' I see very old
entries - so Exim doesn't clear retry db at all, do it?

And last - there are two methods of implementing ETRN: set big cutoff time
and use 'exim -R domain.com' or store messages in external spool and use
external transport to deliver mail to recipients when ETRN received. I
prefer first method, because it is more lightweight, but there is one
trouble - when final cutoff time passed, Exim bounces messages for these
clients after first unsuccessfull delivery. This depends on
delay_after_cutoff variable, but doesn't solve the problem. Is it possible
to clear retry db not only on first successfull deliver (i.e. at message
arriving time client must be on-line), but on receiving ETRN directive
too? It is useful feature - client signals to Exim "I'm still living!" and
Exim will reset retry db for domain, used as argument to ETRN command.
What do you think about this proposition?

Thank you :-)

--
Vladimir Litovka <doka@???>
. Phone/Fax: +380 44 2351511