Re: [Exim] (dirlist) lookups - now ipdir lookup

Author: tcurdt
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] (dirlist) lookups - now ipdir lookup
On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Dec 1999 tcurdt@??? wrote:
>
> > > No! I'm afraid you have misunderstood how this works. The returned data
> > > is not used. Only the existence of the host name as a key is tested.
> >
> > Well, are there any exim specific routines for DNS name lookups
> > in exim I should use then?
>
> Sorry, I don't understand your question. We were talking about data
> lookups; I'm not clear where the DNS comes into it.

Sorry... maybe I snipped a bit to much ;-)

The thing about this lookup (well, I decided to call
him "ipdir" now) is to have a directory structure
to search and not a flat file. That helps a lot
with the pop-before-relay topic!
I didn't like the approach of putting together
a file from the pop-before-relay spool dir
who may relay (see the pop-before-relay from
the FAQ)! My exim now checks for the spool files
itself!!!

(since the loopup key is a FQN and the lookup
has to check for the key himself I had to
resolve the ip so I can compare it with the
ips in the directory structure - that's why
was asking for the DNS routines - but I found
them by myself ;-)

So I have a spool dir:

/var/spool/popauth/

with little files with all the pop-authentificated
ips. And in my Exim configuration file:

host_accept_relay = "ipdir;/var/spool/popauth";

No, hassle of putting together a flat file!
All I have to do is create the files - well,
popwatch does this perfectly!
And scan through the pop-spool-dir from time
to time to delete the old entries! - by
popclean or cron or whatever!

If requested I could post a patch or store
a package somewhere for download!
--
Torsten