Re: [Exim] New spam method?

Autor: Peter Radcliffe
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] New spam method?
Steve <steve@???> probably said:
> Peter Radcliffe wrote:
> > Don't have email addresses on your web site ?
> Certainly not, that would mean they've won. Why should I compromise? ;)

That was a sarcastic comment.
If you have email addresses out there, spammers will use them.

Even if you don't, they might; last week I had some moron on a dialup
connection trying to brute force addresses in pir.net. Tried nearly
200,000 rcpt to:s before I blocked the subnet entirely and later got
his account cancelled although I'm sure that will only slow the moron
down a little :( )

> Is there no way I can reject a mail if the "envelope-to" and then main
> "to" address differ?

Sure, but it'll break mailing lists, many auto replies, aliases in
different domains and a whole bunch of other useful things.

The usual methods for dealing with this are the RBL type lists on
the source IP and checking the headers for correctness, both of
which are standard exim options.

P.

--
pir                  pir@???                    pir@???