RE: [Exim] Stopping loops

Author: Paul Walsh
To: Philip Hazel, Exim Users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Stopping loops
Having looked at the log file in more detail this is what was happening:

Message gets redirected by Outlook/Exchange to hotmail address, so gets sent
to Exim.
Exim attempts to deliver to hotmail but delivery fails due to account
unavailable/mailbox full. Exim returns the message to Outlook (with <> in
header)
which promptly forwards it again....
By looking at the message size each time Outlook forwards it, I find that
the size
remains pretty much the same, so the headers aren't accumulating, due, no
doubt to
Outlook ever so kindly stripping all those nasty (i.e. non-MS) internet
headers, which means
the loop won't break on the number of Received headers, nor will it break on
a size limit.

I then thought "why not use the system filter to freeze anything for
hotmail.com and have
it auto-thawed every X hours". Unfortunately, even with auto_thaw set to 6h
I found this morning
that a test message I submitted yesterday (about 18h ago) was still frozen.
I'm obviously missing
something somewhere.

Here is what I had in the system filter:
if $h_to contains "hotmail.com"
then
freeze "Hotmail destination frozen"

endif

This successfully managed to block all mail to hotmail (as well as an
incoming mail which happened to be Cc'd to a hotmail address).

I thought, perhaps, the message was immediately getting frozen each time
auto-thaw kicked in, so this is what I have in the filter at the moment:

if ($h_to contains "hotmail.com" and $h_from contains "uce.ac.uk") and
first_delivery
then
freeze "Hotmail destination frozen"
endif

Any suggestions?

Paul Walsh

Senior Systems Programmer, Information Services,
University of Central England, BIRMINGHAM B42 2SU, UK