Re: [Exim] rewrite to empty sender?

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Dave C.
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: ryan
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] rewrite to empty sender?

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 ryan@??? wrote:

> > a webhosting customer has a webform, with a place for the user to enter
> > their email address. this goes to a "formmail" type of script, which
> > sends mail to the webhosting customer's address, _FROM_ the address the
> > user entered.
> >
> > Now lets say the user enters:
> >
> > sdfgsdfgsdfgsdfgsdfg
> >
> > Currently, exim tacks on qualify_domain, which is just the webserver's
> > primary hostname, which is NOT a domain we receive mail for, and
> > definately not one for which the above random garbage is a valid
> > address in..
> >
> > I tried setting qualify_domain to null, but that leaves the address as
> > "sdfgsdfgsdfg@", which is refused by mailservers...
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out what the "Right Thing <tm>" to do about this
> > is.
> >
> > I'm open to any suggestions..
> >

> Tell the webhosting customer to validate the mail addresses it's sending
> out.
>
> Or, set qualify_domain to null, and let the mail disappear. That's really
> the best solution.

I've settled on setting qualify_domain to " : ; " which is a string
recognized by most MUA's as 'this isnt an email address but its all I
have'.. I mainly dont want them trying to reply to invalid addresses at
our webservers hostname.. Trying to reply to a " : ; " address results
in an error in pine - it wont let you leave the "To:" file.. I'm not
sure what other MUA's do..

We have way to many webhosting clients that don't 'get' that when a
user fills out a webform it is NOT the user sending them an email, or
some that do but don't care - they want it to be 'just like' that..

Sigh.. Its like all the ads I hear or see that say "send us an email on
our website at http://whatever".. you go and look and there isn't a
single email address listed anywhere, but they have a webform to "send
them an email".. There are just WAY too many completely cluless idiots
out there.. unfortunately, they are the ones (indirectly) paying my
salary.. Sigh...