[Exim] virtual subdomains?

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] virtual subdomains?
Hi!

Q0412 in the FAQ gives an answer how to deliver mail for any local
part in a virtual domain to a single address. I use this to deliver
e-mail for <localpart>@testdomain.example.com to a single address.

However, testdomain.example.com has a wildcard MX for a number of
subdomains, and testdomain.example.com:*.testdomain.example.com is in
local_domains. How do I include arbitrary subdomains of
testdomain.example.com into the delivery to the same address like the
main domain itself?

My director says:
|virtual_domains:
|driver        = smartuser
|domains       = lsearch;/etc/exim/virtual_domains
|new_address   = ${lookup{$domain}lsearch{/etc/exim/virtual_domains}{$value}fail}

To support the subdomains, I probably need a second director like
|virtual_subdomains:
|driver        = smartuser
|domains       = "*." lsearch;/etc/exim/virtual_domains (*)
|new_address   = ${lookup{$domain}lsearch{/etc/exim/virtual_domains}{$value}fail}

where the notation in the domains line would tell exim to prepend "*."
to every entry read from the virtual_domains file.

This leaves the notation of the target address in the virtual_domains
file.

I wouldn't want to use rewriting since this would lose information in
the rewriting process.

Any ideas?

Greetings
Marc