Re: [Exim] host lookup did not complete

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: Randy Bush
CC: exim users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] host lookup did not complete
On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Randy Bush wrote:

> /usr/local/sbin/exim -v -M 11xf0x-000AbO-00
> delivering message 11xf0x-000AbO-00
> LOG: 0 MAIN
> == almada@??? R=lookuphost defer (-1): host lookup did not complete
>

> yet, on the same host
>
> % nslookup leopard.ebonet.net
> Server: localhost
> Address: 127.0.0.1
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    leopard.ebonet.net
> Address:  194.133.121.2

> % telnet leopard.ebonet.net 25
> Trying 194.133.121.2...
> Connected to leopard.ebonet.net.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 leopard.ebonet.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.8.7; Wed, 15 Dec 1999 06:32:42 +0100
> quit
> 221 leopard.ebonet.net closing connection
> Connection closed by foreign host.

... but you only looked for an A record in the DNS. Exim looks for MX
records, and it is usually this that causes problems like this. Here we
are: when I look for an MX record for leopard.ebonet.net I get

MX lookup yielded SERVFAIL

Since Exim cannot determine whether there is an MX record or not, it
cannot proceed. It MUST NOT assume that it can just go and use a
matching A record.