[Exim] Mailer Survey

Góra strony
Autor: Steven Clarke
Dla: exim-users
Temat: [Exim] Mailer Survey
I was provoked by a recent conversation is to repeat a survey of MTAs that
Nigel Metheringham conducted a year or two ago. I thought that the results
might interest the exim list.

The logs for emails from dialup users sent to remote (non-Planet) servers
during a short interval were analysed and all mail servers involved
contacted to determine the destination MTA. I've included two sets of
stats - one for the number of servers running a given MTA and one for the
number of emails sent to a given MTA (the 2 figures often show very
different trends).

Whether Exim would do so well outside the UK is uncertain.

                        Servers            Emails
Sendmail                 2718            9233
Microsoft Exchange        832            1387
qmail                     283            2610
Exim                      269            4341
Netscape                  217             492
smap                      207             770
NT-ESMTP                  190             332
Lotus Notes               161             379
CheckPoint Firewalls      136             268
SMTP/cmap                 134             348
MAILsweeper               110             287
NTMail                     83             161
GroupWise                  82             129
Microsoft SMTP             70             749
InterScan                  66             115
PMDF                       50             104
YahooMail                  31            1206
Smail                      20              54
Postfix                    12              32
ccMail                     10              14
HotMail                     4            4069
Unknown                  2057           12391

As a side affect of the survey, we collected version information for the
MTAs. Here's a summary of the Exim versions currently in the wild. 2.xx
seems to be still outweigh 3.xx. It's difficult to know why.
  Exim
 Version  Servers
   2.12      90
   3.03      37