Re: [Exim] Virtual Names & More Complex

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Jeremy C. Reed
To: System Operator
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Virtual Names & More Complex
On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, System Operator wrote:
> thing we are trying to figure out how to do is create mail accounts
> without having to create 'user' accounts.

> Does anyone know if Exim can solve this delimma, or point me to a place
> that can?

Yes. Exim can partially solve this dilemma. You may also need to have a
pop3 or imap server that works with it.

I wrote a patch for gnu-pop3d that allows using separate password files
and separate mail spool directories (for each domain or realm).

The user simply appends a colon or at-sign and a domain name (or realm
name) at the end of his/her pop3 user name, like "jeremy@???".
(Of course, you'd need to configure your mail server to deliver the mail
appropriately. I use Exim which is very easy to configure. I also have
separate email alias files for each domain.)

More info about my patch is at
http://www.reedmedia.net/projects/virtualmail/

I chose gnu-pop3d to patch, because the code is extremely easy to follow.
gnu-pop3d is available via
http://www.nodomainname.net/software/gnu-pop3d.shtml

Hope this helps,

  Jeremy C. Reed