Re: [Exim] host lookup problem

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Philip Hazel
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Steve Haslam
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] host lookup problem
On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Steve Haslam wrote:

> I'll let you two fight this one out :}

Oh, I wouldn't fight with Philip. His dad is my dentist... :-)

> The point was that Exim got TRY_AGAIN for looking up only some of the
> addresses- shouldn't it return TRY_AGAIN to the upper level iff it
> gets it or a failure for *all* addresses? This is taking the view that
> looking up "A foo.com" and looking up "AAAA foo.com" is just like
> looking up two different addresses...

I'll think about it, but it makes this a special case. Exim's normal
behaviour is "if a DNS lookup gives TRY_AGAIN, there's some problem in
the DNS and we can't proceed". A properly configured server should give
NXDOMAIN when asked for a non-existent AAAA record.

... thinks ...

On reflection, I take your point. As long as it has got *some* addresses
for a host it makes sense to proceed with them. Indeed, if it has got an
address for any of the MX hosts it makes sense to proceed.

What it must not do is to carry on if it gets TRY_AGAIN when looking for
MX records, of course.

Added to my list of things to pick up in due course. Sorry, not soon.
Too much else on.