Re: [Exim] Adding Sender:

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Marc Haber
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Adding Sender:
On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 09:10:05 +0000 (GMT), you wrote:
>On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Marc Haber wrote:
>> When I use my normal setup, the MUA delivers the messages to the MTA
>> via SMTP. This works flawlessly. However, when I use a UNIX MUA like
>> mutt that way (which presumably delivers messages directly by calling
>> exim or /bin/mail), a Sender: header is added which in turn causes
>> some mailing list managers (this happened in fact on this mailing
>> liste ;-) ) to reject my message because they honor Sender: instead of
>> From: for sender verification.
>
>Exim does this as a security measure, and also in accordance with RFC
>822:

<snip>

I see. This security measure kills using different addresses for
different mailing lists which I consider a feature to find out which
list is leaking e-mail addresses to spammers.

>It is true that these days, when anybody can connect a personal computer
>to the net and inject any old mail they like, Sender is not as important
>as it used to be. Nevertheless, on shared systems it is of use for
>tracking who among thousands of users sent that abusive message. I
>suppose that now Exim is also used on non-shared systems, I should
>provide an option for not adding Sender.

I am not sure if it is correct handling of the mailing list manager to
verify the subscription of an address via the Sender: header. But
since it's this very list that's doing this, I find here is the right
place to discuss.

Maybe it would be a good idea to make the name of the added Header
configurable. That way, it could be changed to "X-Sender:" which
wouldn't confuse mailing list software and still produces a verifyable
header. However, the normal Received: header also provides that
information.

Greetings
Marc