Re: [Exim] Small patch for src/transports/appendfile.c

Author: michael
To: james, Nigel.Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Small patch for src/transports/appendfile.c
> This sort of optomisation is only worth doing on a system which is
> handling huge amounts of mail, which pretty much implies a sealed mail
> server with pop/imap type access only. In that case you have to
> delivery quotas in the MTA since thats the thing that delivers :-)

It is worth the efforts even on a small system, if people have many mails
in their mailboxes, and the added code is only a few lines. Perhaps a few
more to do it correctly (i.e. stat() the tmp file to get the exact size). ;)

> [The paranoid should also check quotas in the IMAP server since that
> can upload messages]

Indeed. The courier imap daemon handles quota, but IMHO maildir++ quota
has a problem if a mailbox is created, no mail has been delivered yet
(so no quota file is created) and then imapd uploads messages. I prefer
quota recalculation each time, as exim does it. As it is, it _does_
cost some cycles, but the overhead is not as large as one might expect.
Removing the stat() on each file will make things more efficient, though.

Michael