Re: [Exim] delivering aborted - Spool file is locked

Author: Philip Hazel
To: robert rotman
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] delivering aborted - Spool file is locked
On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, robert rotman wrote:

> > I'll put something in the FAQ. This is not an error. It is perfectly
> > normal on a busy host. What it means is that some Exim process, probably
> > started by a queue runner, found that a message it wanted to deliver was
> > already being worked on by some other process. If you set log_level less
> > than 5 these warnings won't even be logged.
> >

> but this mail is in the queue for 4 days.
> is this only a "ghost-id" and the real mail is processed by another id?
> can i remove this mail from the queue?

Look at your log files to find out what the history of this message is.
Use "exigrep" to pull out all the log entries for it or look at its
msglog file. See why it is failing. Maybe whenever a delivery attempt is
started it just sits there for a long time and times out - this would
certainly cause "spool file locked" when subsequent queue runner
processes tried to work on the message. You can also use "exiwhat" to
find the process that is working on the message. Has this got stuck for
some reason?

It may be a real problem, or it may just be a "normal" failing delivery.
Without further information you can't tell.