Re: [Exim] Suggestion for improved error message

Author: Philip Hazel
To: michael
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Suggestion for improved error message
On 8 Dec 1999 michael@??? wrote:

> I just saw a bunch of messages like this:
>
> remote host address for <host> is the local host
>
> >From the source, it looks like this happens when I am best preference
> MX for a domain that is not local. It would be great if exim would also
> log the domain or the message ID that caused this message so I can fix
> the reason.

Whenever this message is logged (it's actually "for <domain>" rather
than "for <host>"), the message

"remote host address is the local host"

is associated with the address which caused it. That message should get
logged with the address and message id in the normal way. In fact, the
message id should in any case be included with the message you quote.
Can you provide an example where it isn't?

I'm not sure why I put in the extra logging line, but perhaps it was
because the <domain> that failed might not be the domain in the address,
as a result of changes during routing.