Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH is working but...

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Mark Morley
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH is working but...
> > > if in host_accept_relay and not in auth_hosts
> >
> > I have now modified smtp_in.c to do this and it works well.
>
> That is useful to know. When I get back to working on the code (won't be
> for some time) I'll think about inventing an option to turn on that
> behaviour.

That would be excellent.

Just in case it matters, in the archive for the IETF SASL mailing list
I found a thread (from a few months back) where they talk about exactly
this. Their feeling is that the SMTP server should only advertise AUTH
if it is absolutely required of the client, for similar reasons that I
stumbled upon. I think a config file option to control this behavior
would be a Good Thing.

> 1. Client side of authentication protocol exchange

Thanks! Unfortunately it still doesn't work for Outlook Express. Seems
Microsoft isn't content to implement a non-standard, but they had to go
and use a VARIATION of a non-standard. Surprise surprise.

One thing though. Exim seems to be encoding the server prompt strings
before sending them to the client. I got the impression from the "spec"
as well as other messages in the SASL list that the prompts should be
human-readable (it's not like they contain sensitive data).

Mark