Re: [Exim] qpopper in SERVER_MODE

Góra strony
Autor: Graeme Fowler
Dla: exim-users
Temat: Re: [Exim] qpopper in SERVER_MODE
On 07-Dec-1999 Andreas M. Kirchwitz wrote:
> robert rotman wrote:
>
> > can i use qpopper in SERVER_MODE with exim?
> > as describend in
> > http://eudora.qualcomm.com/freeware/qpop_faq.html#server_mode
> > the answer seems to be no:(
>
> What makes you think, you cannot run QPopper in Server Mode with
> Exim? It's just a different way to handle the user's mail folder
> while it's locked.
>
> I'm running Exim 3.x with QPopper 3.x (in Server Mode), and I don't
> see any problems. ;-)

So do we - we have a hacked version of qpopper on one server which
checks whether or not the user ever reads their mail with a UNIX shell
client (Elm, Pine et al) by looking for the associated .<blah>rc files
in their home directory. If it doesn't find one, it goes into server
mode. It's much quicker this way and allows us to negate the
performance hit of having to duplicate the mailbox before reading it.

Graeme

--
Graeme Fowler
Network Officer, Infrastructure & Networks Group