Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH is working but...

Top Pagina
Auteur: Mark Morley
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH is working but...
> The check of host_accept_relay currently happens only when the host
> actually tries to relay, that is, when it sends a RCPT command for a
> non-local domain. However, it could do a check at EHLO time, I suppose,
> when deciding whether to advertise AUTH or not. However, the check would
> have to be
>
> if in host_accept_relay and not in auth_hosts

I have now modified smtp_in.c to do this and it works well. Local users
continue to send mail like always without any disruptions, and remote users
(or those on IPs listed in auth_hosts) can relay only if they authenticate
first.

Without this change SMTP AUTH simply isn't practical in a setting with tens
of thousands of users (IMO). Having to enter your password every time you
send mail is just too frustrating for too many of them. My brief experiments
(lasting only an hour or so) on the weekend generated more than a dozen
helpdesk calls from confused Netscape users.

On a related note, does anyone have more info on AUTH LOGIN? It appears
that this is what Outlook Express uses and although I have it configured
(as per the Exim example) and have tested it manually, I can't get OE
to authenticate. In particular, does OE expect specific server prompts?
And does the LOGIN option have to appear before any others?

Mark