Re: [Exim] *Official* exim rpm

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Domi
To: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] *Official* exim rpm
On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 03:29:54PM +0000, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
> On 2 Dec 1999 nbecker@??? wrote:
>
> > I think we can really help to encourage the usage of exim in the linux
> > community if an RPM package was available at the exim.org site. I
> > propose that exim.spec together with the three small patches be
> > included in a packaging subdirectory of the exim tar. Also, maybe a
> > place to put the source RPM can be provided on the exim.org site.

[...]
> an MTA. This is a *bad* idea. There is no way an automatic install can
> know about your setup, and you can't really make sensible choices
> with information from configuration install-script help files; you
> do need to read a book or a manual (the exim manual is good and easy to
> read).
>
> One large market for a package would be dialup users with a single system;
> this is a use of exim of which Phil has said he has no experience.
> Unless Redhat are in a position to support such users, I think a package
> should default to no off-machine mail, and it should be left to ISPs to
> supply an appropriate config file (or tool to build one).

I think the Debian people have done quite a nice post-install script which
asks a few basic questions about the local setup and what Exim will be used
for. Something like this wouldn't be a bad idea necessarily. The only
problem with the Debian config is it defaults with procmail, and from a
security point of view and a logical point of view I wouldn't run procmail.

> Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
> A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna

regards from someone who would like to see an RPM,

//Dominique L. Bouix [d@???]