Re: [Exim] Detecting open relays in Received path

Top Pagina
Auteur: Nigel Metheringham
Aan: Tabor J. Wells
CC: Paul Makepeace, exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Detecting open relays in Received path
twells@??? said:
> Perhaps I'm not understanding the issue entirely. Why can't you just
> use the RBL settings in exim? ORBS will list the exit points in
> multi-stage relays. So you'll block things rather effectively when a
> server listed in ORBS is not the server which makes the final
> connection to yours.

pobox is a virtual mailbox service - in general a very reputable one
and they have been there a while and look like continuing. I along
with a whole pile of people I respect have pobox addresses which are
forwarded on to our real addresses.

Unfortunately that means that mail for my pobox account comes to me
from the pobox servers - which have not been in RBL or ORBS. So exim
tests on the sending IP and finds that OK - pobox are not an outgoing
relay (which ORBS would pick up), but an incoming relay (in exactly the
same way that my firewall box is for my normal mail).

I've just prodded pobox about this (its come to account renewal time
and most of my spam does come from them - then again it is the address
I publish). I have suggested that they offer the option of additional
RBLs or add warnings for ORBS etc and let me drop the stuff in the
filters.

    Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]