RE: [Exim] Segfault when running newaliases

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Dave C.
To: Eric Bullen
CC: Philip Hazel, Jim Knoble, exim-users
Betreff: RE: [Exim] Segfault when running newaliases

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Eric Bullen wrote:

>  ]
>  ]  > I probably shouldn't have put it in quotes, but the file is
>  ]  included with
>  ]  > the rpm distro for Exim 3.03. The file's location is:
>  ]    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  ]  Please, when you post statements like that, give more detail. I don't
>  ]  know anything about "the rpm distro". Whose distro? What operating
>  ]  system? I don't even understand RPMs because I am not a Linux person. I
>  ]  only know about the base Exim source distribution.
>  ]
>  ]  On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Jim Knoble wrote:
>  ]
>  ]  > : bi_command=/usr/bin/newaliases
>  ]  >            /^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  ]  > If /usr/bin/newaliases is a symlink to exim, this will cause an
>  ]  > infinite loop.
>  ]
>  ]  So it will! Nice one!

> I assumed that the term 'rpm distribution" was well known, but I was
> obviously wrong. For future notes, it is just a convenient software package
> that has simplified (un)install and validation. For more information, you
> can go to http://www.rpm.org.

I'm fairly sure Phillip (the author of Exim) has heard of RPM, and
knows what the term "rpm distro" might mean. But that doesn't mean he
knows who assembled the particular RPM you were using, or what
distribution of Linux it might have come with, or where else you might
have obtained it, or most importantly, who packaged it.

You said "THE" RPM distro, as if there could be only one.

Now possibly, if there were an RPM distributed by RedHat software with
the RedHat version of Linux, and you had mentioned you were using
RedHat Linux (if that was the case), then a reader could assume you
meant that one. But you didn't mention if you were using RedHat, and
even if you had, I don't beleive there *is* an Exim RPM distributed by
RedHat software.

If you were using an RPM from the Exim ftp site, then perhaps you
should have called attnetion to that fact. The ones on the site are
certainly not the ONLY ones available. (And in fact, I beleive they are
really a 'contrib' as opposed to something produced directly by Phillip
- I'm not sure who provided them)

I myself have a set of .src.rpm's for exim that I made. Where you using
those? I doubt it, since I've never published them. But I am positive
that there are more than just one source for an RPM for Exim, and I
guarantee they are not identical. (With respect to configs, locations
of installed files, etc.. The one I made had hideous locations
specified - I modified it to suite both my tastes and also to conform
to my interpretation of the standard RedHat locations for things..)