Re: [Exim] Allowing relaying from multiple networks

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: michael
Para: minfrin, ph10
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Allowing relaying from multiple networks
> > That chapter could be more precise by either first giving a specification
> > of lists and then documenting the list elements,
>
> Er, I thought it did. The items are defined in the order
>
>   String
>   String lists          <===================
>   Domain lists
>   Address lists
>   Host lists

Yes, if you read the manual from the beginning, then string lists will
bring lists to your attention, but the subchapter title does not make
quite clear what that chapter is about. If you only read about host
lists, you won't know how to build a list from multiple host elements.

The subchapter shouldn't be called "string lists", but "list construction"
or "lists", because you do not construct lists from strings. Instead you
construct lists from multiple elements, encoding the whole into a string.

The host list chapter mentions some aspects of lists, but it neither
only specifies hosts nor gives an exact specification of host _lists_.
It is somewhere in between.

That's why I said: Either first document list construction with all
details like quoting and then document the elements that lists can be
constructed from, or document domain lists, host lists and repeat the
list construction specification each time. The decision is a decision
about your typing system: Do you have the primitive types domain, address
and host together with a list constructor, or do you have the primitive
types domain lists, address lists and host lists?

If possible, add hyperlinks from all type names to the type definitions.

Michael

PS: Time for comp.lang.mta to discuss MTA configuration languages?
    There is a language called rewrite which is frighteningly familiar to
    many postmasters, just in case you doubt the comp.lang hierarchy is
    right. ;-)