[Exim] Strange behaviour with secured mailing list

Autor: Bevis R W King
A: exim-users
CC: scs
Assumpte: [Exim] Strange behaviour with secured mailing list
In my exim.conf (3.03), I have two entries for mailing lists - one
which checks a directory with "open" in it, and a second which
checks one with "closed" in it. The idea being that only subscribers
to a list can email to the lists under closed.

The exim.conf segment that implements this mechanism is:
--- start segment
closedlists:
driver = forwardfile
skip_syntax_errors
require_files = /var/spool/exim/lists/closed/${local_part}
file = /var/spool/exim/lists/closed/${local_part}
no_check_local_user
one_time
forbid_file
forbid_pipe
forbid_reply
senders = lsearch;/var/spool/exim/lists/closed/${local_part}
errors_to = ${local_part}-request@???
headers_add = "Precedence: bulk\nX-unsub: to leave this list, send email to
${
local_part}-request@???"
--- end segment

Now for the weird behaviour.... I have EXACTLY the same commands but
minus the "senders" line in the open lists section. I can email to
all members of the list when it's in open mode, but when it's in
closed mode just one of the members gives me "unknown local part"
even though their email address is a destination not the message
initiator.

If I remove their .forward file, which contains an entirely reasonable
\username, | /opt/bin/nvacation    entry, it all starts working just
fine.  Bizzarely enough this person is also one of our site postmasters
and the bounce generated by the "unknown local part" failure is duely
delivered to their mailbox, no problem!

Any suggestions for things I could try to resolve this? Specifically
what I don't really understand why the entries in .forward adversely
affect delivery only when a sender check is enabled on a mailing list?

I can post the whole exim.conf file if necessary, but it's pretty
massive. Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards, Bevis.