Re: [Exim] Replacing sendmail on RH 6.0

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Dave C.
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: stuart.children, exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Replacing sendmail on RH 6.0
User mailboxes arent really "part" of exim. They are "part" of unix
itself, and the standard location for them, wether you use sendmail,
exim, qmail, or something else, is /var/spool/mail (at least in linux,
some unix flavors use /var/mail, some use /usr/spool/mail, some have
them all pointing at the same place...),

There is the occasional exception of a large site implementing
in-home-directory mailboxes either to include them in user quota more
easily, or simply becuase they dont want five billion entries in
/var/spool/mail and they've decided its easier to do homedir than
/var/spool/mail/u/s/username (and its usually a pain in the butt
getting EVERYthing that looks at user mailboxes reconfigured/recompiled
to look in the new location, in either case)

Most MUA (pine, elm, mailx), and MUA-agent programs (POP and IMAP
daemons of various flavors) expect user mailboxes to be in that
standard location. True, you can recompile/hack/reconfigure them
(maybe), but why? Why not just use the standard convention?

The MTA's spool directory is for *in-transit* messages, not user
mailboxes. Its sort of "internal" to the MTA, whereas user mailboxes
are "external" of the MTA. You are combining two seperate spools into
one space.. Why shouldnt you do that? For the same reason not to just
put all files in /, its a concept of organization, seperating things by
function. You say you want all "exim" things in the same directory -
I repeat - user mailboxes are NOT part of exim, they are part of your
unix system.

Now, having said my piece, I will point out that you are free to put
your files anywhere you want (even if you want to store all mail in
/tmp or /lib) - I'm just trying to figure out why you are going to such
great trouble to override the standard/default convention.