Re: [Exim] Replacing sendmail on RH 6.0

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Stuart Children
To: exim-users
Oggetto: Re: [Exim] Replacing sendmail on RH 6.0
On Sun, 14 Nov 1999 10:58:41 -0200, Otavio Exel (oexel@???)
wrote:

> assuming you are using bash, look for MAILPATH in 'man bash';

Which tells me:
       MAILPATH
              A colon-separated list of pathnames to  be  checked
              for  mail.  The message to be printed may be speci-
              fied by separating the pathname  from  the  message
              with  a `?'.  $_ stands for the name of the current
              mailfile.  Example:
              MAILPATH='/usr/spool/mail/bfox?"You            have
              mail":~/shell-mail?"$_ has mail!"'
              Bash  supplies  a  default value for this variable,
              but the location of the user  mail  files  that  it
              uses      is      system      dependent      (e.g.,
              /usr/spool/mail/$USER).

OK... but man bash also says:
       MAIL   If this parameter is set  to  a  filename  and  the
              MAILPATH variable is not set, bash informs the user
              of the arrival of mail in the specified file.

Now, MAILPATH is *not* set, but MAIL is (to /var/spool/exim/$USER). So,
according to the above, my setup should work fine. It doesn't. I have
now set MAILPATH too, but it still doesn't work, which suggests something
else is at fault. Thanks for the suggestion though.

> btw: you did not mention where is the exim spool directory in your
> system; I gather that /var/spool/exim is acting as both the exim spool
> AND the mail spool; if this is correct I hope there are no users with
> username 'db' or 'input' or 'msglog' in your system :-)

Yes, that is correct. There are none of those users either. :) Thank you
for checking. :) There's no particular reason why I couldn't use
/var/spool/mail for the mail spool, and I may well do that. However, now
I've come across this problem I want to find out what's causing it.

> beers,

Yes please... cheers! ;)

- Stuart -