[Exim] Replacing sendmail on RH 6.0

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Stuart Children
Para: exim-users
Asunto: [Exim] Replacing sendmail on RH 6.0
I've compiled and installed exim 3.03 on a box running a (quite
customised) RedHat 6.0 install. Previously it was running sendmail, as is
default in RH. My problem is that when I log in, I get told "No mail."
even if I do have some. Here's some background:

For the compile I set:
    SPOOL_DIRECTORY=/var/spool/exim
in Local/Makefile.

In the configuration file, I've got
    file = /var/spool/exim/${local_part}
in the local_delivery transport.

After compiling, installing, setup up the config, and doing a bit of
testing, I linked /usr/lib/sendmail and /usr/sbin/sendmail to
/usr/local/exim/bin/exim, killed off sendmail, and started exim.  I greped
around for spool/mail, and as a result I set:
    MAIL="/var/spool/exim/$USER"
in /etc/profile, and in /etc/login.defs I put:
    MAIL_DIR     /var/spool/exim

Now, mail is getting sent, and is arriving fine, with things going into
/var/spool/exim.

Pine wasn't picking it up however.  It was working fine with sendmail.
'pine -conf' says "# Normal Unix default is the local INBOX (usually
/usr/spool/mail/$USER).", but it was clearly using /var/spool/mail/$USER -
I guess RH changed the default that instead.  I've around this by setting:
    inbox-path=/var/spool/exim/$USER
in /etc/pine.conf.  Using $MAIL (which is getting set OK - I checked that)
would seem more sensible on Pine's behalf...

Now, when I log in, I get greeted with "No mail.", despite the fact that
there is some: if I run "mail", then I can see it there fine. Pine picks
it up too.

Any advice much appreciated,

- Stuart -