Re: [Exim] Message-ID's

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Vadim Vygonets
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Message-ID's
Quoth Randy Bush on Fri, Oct 29, 1999:
[Description of disability to fix MUA`s method of generating
Message-IDs snipped]
[Vadik wrote:]
> > So the job of making the Message IDs correct falls, I guess, on
> > MTA's shoulders.
>
> because cars are occasionally broken the roads are responsible for getting
> me to my destination.

Great. Just great.

First, show me the quote in the Bible (or at least Tao Te Ching)
which says that MUAs are responsible to generate Message IDs.

Second, I don't think that the said MUAs should be aware that
they are not on The Net. It's not something MUA should know.
Except MICROS~1 Outloop, I don't know any MUA that fiddles with
PPP connection when you launch it.

So, if the MUAs have no idea whether or not they have as proper
net-unique hostname available, the only "entity" I can think of
that does know it is the admin. For the said admin, it's easier
to configure _one_ MTA on _one_ mail hub than to configure
(patch, in most (all?) cases) dozen of different MUAs, some of
which he has no source code for. Especially if the said MTA is
Exim.

And, BTW, write a function in C that will find out whether or not
you have a permanent Net connection and proper hostname, eh?

Vadik.

--
It was state of the art, he said.
The art in this case was probably pottery.