Re: [Exim] RBL reject, format of error message

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: Anand Buddhdev
CC: Frank Elsner, exim-users, Robert Bittl
Asunto: Re: [Exim] RBL reject, format of error message
On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Anand Buddhdev wrote:

> If I understand right, the error message you are talking about is the
> error sent by the remote mailer to the remote sender, when _your_ exim
> refuses mail from them. Then the remote MTA will generate a bounce error
> message for its sender, and you have no control over that message.

And certain MTAs interpret a 550 SMTP code as "Unknown user", even
though it is used for a variety of purposes these days. Such MTAs even
throw away the text that is carefully provided with the 550 response,
and replace it with "Unknown user". Bah.

If the far end were also Exim, it would include the 550 response message
in the bounce that it generates. When your Exim rejects because of the
RBL it includes the text from the RBL lookup in its message, and you can
also modify the message using prohibition_message. But all of this is of
no use if the far end throws it away.

Government Policy: If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.