Re: [Exim] Confused by Return-path: header

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Vadim Vygonets
Para: Exim Users List
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Confused by Return-path: header
Quoth John Horne on Thu, Oct 28, 1999:
> The central mailhub here mainly acts as a gateway (mail server?) in that it
> receives mail for the University's users but sends most of it onto other
> file servers.

[snip]
> I assume then that it is exim which is setting the SMTP MAIL
> FROM address of 'postmaster@???', and the exchange server sees
> this and uses it to write in a Return-path: header.

Yes, it seems likely. How did you configure the incoming mail
processing? Did you set errors_to or something similar?

> However, if
> we set the Return-path: header on the out-going mail SMTP transport and set
> it to the original $sender_address (?). The exchange server *may* see the
> header and ignore the MAIL FROM address - this needs testing of course. My
> question though is is this correct? What do others do, if anything, about
> this? Should I be doing this?

No, you should NOT do it.

> I would add that we only seem to have the problem with this one Exchange
> server, yet I assume we are receiving/sending mail to other servers around
> the world and that the senders are requesting delivery receipts. The
> postmaster account is not receiving those recipts. That made it look as if
> this one server was mis-configured,

Probably your outgoing mail is just relayed through the server,
which means that there is no processing in the middle.

> but looking at the Return-path: header
> in the RFC's seems to have confuised things even more!

Vadik.

--
A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into
superstition, and art into pedantry.  Hence University education.