Re: [Exim] Configure "Mail delivery failed" message

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Marc Peiser
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Configure "Mail delivery failed" message
On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Marc Peiser wrote:

> Our server here recieves mail for many domains. How would I customize the
> "Mail delivery failed" message so that the domain that they where
> trying to send to is displayed within the message?
>
> eg.
> Email address are in the format of firstname.lastname@<recipeant_domain>

If you are verifying incoming recipient addresses, they get rejected at
SMTP time, and it is the remote sending MTA that generates the failure
report. At the present time, the SMTP error that Exim sends is "cannot
route to <address>". If the far end is a sensible MTA, it should include
this text within the message it generates. However, I don't suppose all
of them do.

As an aside, it seems like a good idea to extend the prohibition_reason
mechanism (which currently applies only to policy rejections only, not
"normal" verification failures) to include this case too. I have noted
this.

If you are not verifying incoming recipient addresses, you can add a
smartuser director at the end of your directors to send undeliverable
messages to a pipe or autoreply transport that generates a suitable
message, tailored as you like. Or you can make use of the errmsg_text
and/or errmsg_file options.

Government Policy: If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.