RE: [Exim] ISP-style spam stopping?

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Jonathan Hunter
Para: Gyan Mathur
CC: exim-users
Asunto: RE: [Exim] ISP-style spam stopping?
Hi,

I guess I should have defined the problem a little more clearly :)

The machine will be sat on a subnet where there are also public-access (to
students) Windows NT machines. I would like to be able to use it as a relay
for project-related email (the machine is a server dedicated to this
project) for a number of reasons, but there is the possibility that somebody
could:

a) discover that the machine is there (it's not widely advertised), and
b) run a bulk-email program on a public machine, directing it towards this
server.

I don't think that is all that likely, but I did wonder how the larger ISPs
(running Exim) prevented their dialups from running bulk emailers directed
at the mail server.

If there isn't a simple rule or way of detecting such large quantities of
mail from one of a particular range of IP addresses, then it's not the end
of the world; I would have turned this feature on if it was there, that's
all. And as you say, "after the event" action can always be taken. I was
just hoping that there was some way of detecting it as it was happening, or
before it happened..

Thanks for your help!

Jonathan