Re: [Exim] Delivery optimization tips for large lists ?

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Pete Naylor
Para: Ian Jackson
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Delivery optimization tips for large lists ?
On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Ian Jackson wrote:

> A friend of mine works for an ISP. One of their big mail servers was
> configured to (a) run nscd

What were the details of their configuration?

> and (b) do reverse lookup on all incoming
> SMTP connections.

That is costly but sometimes worthwhile.

> But, nscd is crap[tm] and serialises all its DNS
> queries, giving rather unhelpful behaviour: you didn't get 220 until
> everyone in the queue in front of you had had their crap nameservers
> timed out on. nscd could in principle not serialise requests, and use
> the DNS TTL values, but that's probably too much hard work for Sun.

You're living in the past - catch up. If you truly understood nscd, you'd
know that the serialisation was not a function of nscd itself, but of the
resolver libraries in earlier Solaris releases. Thanks for the
interesting FUD story though.

> (Plug: fed up with libresolv ? Try my resolver library, currently in
> alpha. http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/adns/ )

Since we're all in the mood for labeling software which we haven't
bothered to learn to understand, I suggest that your library is crap[tm]
and that nobody should use it (for reasons which I am unwilling or unable
to provide).

--
 * Peter James Naylor ## SysAdmin, Supernal Technologies, Inc. *